Detached retina and bicycling
I am 62, quite nearsighted and somewhat astigmatic.  Within the past two years I got floaters and flashes (like a flashlight being waved around in a dark room at the edge of my field of vision), first in one eye and then the other.  There were no serious consequences this time and the flashes have subsided, but my opthamologist said that if another flurry of floaters or a curtain effect occurs,  I should call him immediately.  

My question: on both days I had been riding my bicycle (just a few minutes ride between home and work).  I have a suspicion that the sharp bumps or quickly turning the head from one side to the other might have contributed to these problems.  The first time, I was actually on my bike in the morning when I first noticed them. Even though my doctor says that this is a sheer coincidence and there's no risk in bicycling, I am still leery.  A few people on the net have reported that bicycling can precipitate the condition in someone susceptible to them.  I would like to ride my bicycle again but also want to play it safe.  What do you think?
I agree with your Eye MD. Wear a helmet. Ride carefully. Big, real risk is a fall or accident. If you ride you will fall. Any seasons bicyclist will affirm the truth of that including me.

JCH MD
Thanks for the reassurance.  Fortunately, I can use quiet residential streets or alleys all the way to avoid any significant traffic.  
So was my daughter when she was hit by an automobile making a right turn, so was I when I did a face plant. You can never be too careful on a bicycle and its why I now do my bicycle riding on an exercise bicycle. Stay safe Paul.

JCH MD