Eye Care Community
Detached retina and bicycling
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Detached retina and bicycling

I am 62, quite nearsighted and somewhat astigmatic.  Within the past two years I got floaters and flashes (like a flashlight being waved around in a dark room at the edge of my field of vision), first in one eye and then the other.  There were no serious consequences this time and the flashes have subsided, but my opthamologist said that if another flurry of floaters or a curtain effect occurs,  I should call him immediately.  

My question: on both days I had been riding my bicycle (just a few minutes ride between home and work).  I have a suspicion that the sharp bumps or quickly turning the head from one side to the other might have contributed to these problems.  The first time, I was actually on my bike in the morning when I first noticed them. Even though my doctor says that this is a sheer coincidence and there's no risk in bicycling, I am still leery.  A few people on the net have reported that bicycling can precipitate the condition in someone susceptible to them.  I would like to ride my bicycle again but also want to play it safe.  What do you think?