Eye Care Community
Did my doctor make a mistake ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Did my doctor make a mistake ?

Hello I was was wondering why my eye prescription got better. My last year eye prescription was  O.D -11.50, +3.25 ( cylindrical ). 110 axis and O.S -12.50, + 3.00 ( cylindrical, 80 axis. My current prescription is  OD -8.75, -350( cylinder ) , axis 020 and O.S -9.50, -3.75 (cylinder ), 165 axis. It's this normal or did the doctor make a mistake ?
You are not making a fair compaison. The first RX is "plus cylinders" and the second is "minus cylinders"  It's like giving your weight in pounds and in kilograms  or your speed in miles per hour or kilometers per hour.  The amount is the same but the numbers are different. There is not that much difference between those when both are in plus cylinder notation or both in minus notation.

JCH MD
So my eye prespcription is about the same since last year ? And  Can you please tell me if my vision is sort of stable. also I would like to add I havent gotten the new Glassses and I would say I see about 20/20 with my current glasses. Doctor told me there is no need for them right now
No the glasses RX says nothing about your vision is with them nor is it possible to predict how much, if any, changes will occur in the next year.

JCH MD
Thanks for the Help, hopefully my vision won't change that much in the upcoming years.
=
Sorry but I had one more question which is more common Plus cylinder or minus cylinder ? How do I know how much Diopters I have ?
Most ophthalmologists us PLUS cylincers, most Optoms use Minus cylinders. The numbers in the SPHERE (first number) are all in diopters the second number cylinder is in diopters the last number axis is in degrees and is always 180 degrees or less.

JCH MD
Yes I understood that part,  the part I am having trouble understanding is my Dipoter range is it below -10 or above -10 ? Or is it in between ? What my question is. What is my spherical Dipoter range below -10 or above ? Thats the part I did not understand. Both have diffrent spherical diopters range,  should  i listen to the first RX or the second RX ? And thanks for answering all my qu
* for Answerimg All my questions. I really appreciate all the help