Eye Care Expert Forum
Difference Between Conjunctivitis and Ocular Herpes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Hi there,

I'm a 25 year old male living in the UK.

I was began suffering from conjunctivitis 5 days ago with a very intense redness. I have been to my doctor twice and also to the eye doctor at an eye hospital. Antibiotic eye drops have not worked. I also checked myself into a Sexual Health clinic to get my eyes scraped and tested for Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea just in case - it can take up to two weeks for the clinic to inform me of my results

However I also realise you can get Ocular Herpes, which can lead to blindness. This is the one I'm most afraid of especially as I have had cold sores in the past, indicating that I have the Herpes Virus in me. Are there are major distinguishing symptoms of Ocular Herpes which makes it stand out from Conjunctivitis? Are there things you should be able to see in the pupil of the eye which distinguish it?

I'm only asking this as my doctor admitted himself he is not very knowledgeable about the eyes and the eye doctor I saw only gave me a very quick look through before dismissing it as viral conjunctivitis.

I just want to make double sure as, whilst I'm sure all the health professionals I've seen are doing their job as best they can, sometimes mistakes can be made and it seems Ocular Herpes is often mistake for something - as I've read online.

I don't really have any eye pain other than a very little periodic stinging, and if you shine a torch in my eyes it doesn't hurt.

Thanks for the help

it's highly unlikely to be ocular herpes in the absence of pain, decreased vision, and photophobia.  Also, herpes rarely affects both eyes simultaneously.  If you are not better in another few days, go seek the advice of another ophthalmologist.

HV
Would you say pain and blurry vision are fairly big indicators? I have got neither, but at the moment I do feel slightly light sensitive with very bright lights - no pain. Just sensitive.