Eye Care Expert Forum
Dilate - Test?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Dilate - Test?

I had my eyes examined yesterday and the doctor did not dilate my eyes to test further.  Isn't that part of the standard eye exam?  It USED to be - -I always had it done in every bi-yearly appointment since I started wearing glasses over twenty-two years ago.  I wonder if this is insurance related or the doctor was too busy.  What is the doctor testing for when he dilates your eyes and what related tests did I miss? I am afraid I missed a critical test or two because of this and need to remedy.  Thank you.
Did you see a physician (MD ophthalmologist) or an optometrist (limited scope, non-physician eye care provider)?

If you saw an optometrist, you missed a medical eye examination by a physician.

If you saw an ophthalmologist, you missed an important part of a regular eye examination. The pupils are dilated to give a better examination of the interior, especially to see the peripheral retina better. If you did see an ophthalmologist, it would not be out of line to call their office and ask the same question. If they don't have a good answer it would also not be out of line to ask for a dilated examination at no additional charge for you. If they refuse I would find another Eye MD.

JCH III MD
Thank you!   The MD is saw is an Ophthalmologist, Board Certified.  I checked with my insurance to determine if perhaps the reason was insurance related, i.e., only "limited" services equals the copay to which they replied, no; not copay related and that they can not make the doctor do the test.  I will revisit with this doctor.  Thank you.
Your welcome.
JCH III MD