Eye Care Expert Forum
Dilate - Test?
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dilate - Test?

I had my eyes examined yesterday and the doctor did not dilate my eyes to test further.  Isn't that part of the standard eye exam?  It USED to be - -I always had it done in every bi-yearly appointment since I started wearing glasses over twenty-two years ago.  I wonder if this is insurance related or the doctor was too busy.  What is the doctor testing for when he dilates your eyes and what related tests did I miss? I am afraid I missed a critical test or two because of this and need to remedy.  Thank you.
Related Discussions
233488_tn?1310696703
Did you see a physician (MD ophthalmologist) or an optometrist (limited scope, non-physician eye care provider)?

If you saw an optometrist, you missed a medical eye examination by a physician.

If you saw an ophthalmologist, you missed an important part of a regular eye examination. The pupils are dilated to give a better examination of the interior, especially to see the peripheral retina better. If you did see an ophthalmologist, it would not be out of line to call their office and ask the same question. If they don't have a good answer it would also not be out of line to ask for a dilated examination at no additional charge for you. If they refuse I would find another Eye MD.

JCH III MD
4 Comments
Blank
Thank you!   The MD is saw is an Ophthalmologist, Board Certified.  I checked with my insurance to determine if perhaps the reason was insurance related, i.e., only "limited" services equals the copay to which they replied, no; not copay related and that they can not make the doctor do the test.  I will revisit with this doctor.  Thank you.
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Your welcome.
JCH III MD
Blank
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO