Eye Care Expert Forum
Dilated Pupil & Eyelid Drooping Post Trabeculectomy

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

My 87 year old grandmother had a Trabeculectomy on May 5th. To date, her vision has worsened, and the eye on which the surgery was performed has a significantly larger pupil, as well as a drooping eyelid.

She also suffers from macular degeneration. Currently in the non-surgical eye she is still taking her glaucoma eye drops, in  the surgical eye she is only taking Pred Forte.

Is the drooping eyelid and large pupil only due to the Pred Forte or may there be complications related to the surgery? I know that on the side effect warnings for Pred Forte, dilated pupils as well as eyelid drooping are listed. She is now going on to a 1/2 dose (1 drop per day). I am worried about long term use of this medication as she is on other corticosteroid medications for asthma as well.

Dear mirandad,

The dilated pupil may be related to the surgery.  Droopy eyelids can be a result of the surgery and may or may not improve with time.  I would speak with your grandmother’s eyeMD before you discontinue any medication she is on.  Pred Forte is an anti-inflammatory and is often needed to help swelling.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California