Eye Care Expert Forum
Dilated eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Dilated eye
I was hit in the eybrow last Tuesday with a softball and had a mild hyphema and obviously trauma to my eye. I went to the ER and have been going to an eye doctor. My only concern is that I have been on to types of drops (cylogel I believe and a steroid drop) and my pupil is constantly dilated. Is this normal? I am starting to get concerned after reading things online.
Cyclogyl will dilate your eyes of course as long as you use it.  When you stop it will take a day or two for the effect to wear off.  If the pupil remains dilated after that there could be a chance of traumatic mydriasis (a permanantly or semi-permanantly larger pupil due to traumatic damage to the iris sphincter muscle.)  There is no way to know if you have it yet, but hopefully not.
Is mydriasis common? The ball thankfully didn't hit me directly in the eye. The doctor said that my central vision may be affected permanently but it's too early to tell. He mentioned that my macula is bulging the opposite way it should be and there was lots of fluid back there. I go back Friday.