Dilated eyes take much longer to return to normal after cataract surgery?
I had cataract surgery on the left eye 5 weeks ago, and right eye 4 weeks ago. I had a dilated exam last Friday. My eyes have stayed dilated since then, though they are almost close to normal as of this morning. Why would the eyes take so long to return to normal size? I've never experienced this before the surgery, they used to only take about 5 hours to return to normal. Will it get better as time goes on?

Thank you for your advice!
Depends a lot on what drops were used and how many were put in. Call your surgeon and discuss.

JCH MD
Thank you, Dr. Hagan for the quick response. Does that mean it's likely that there is nothing wrong with the eyes, and it's just the drops and amount of it that may have caused the problem?
It is more likely  a function of the drops than any intrinsic eye condition. There are quite a few questions/posts from people whose eyes have stayed dilated a long time after an eye exam.
JC MD
Are your pupils still dilated? Or how long did they take to get back to normal? My mom had a cataract surgery three weeks ago and her pupil is still dilated. :(
If your mother is using an eye drop with a red top the eye surgeon is purposefully keeping the pupil dilated to rest the inside of the eye. If no then the iris may have been damaged at the time of surgery or stretched to allow the cataract surgery to be done. Discuss with her surgeon
JC MD