Eye Care Expert Forum
Dilated pupils and anxiety

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Dilated pupils and anxiety

I'm 30 years old and have been suffering from anxiety since college and its getting worse.  In social situations, especially around people who i do not know that well, I feel pressure behind my eyes and become very anxious and self-aware.  I also have trouble concentrating sometimes and have a spaced out feeling in my head.  I have used cocaine in the past and people would comment when I was on cocaine that my eyes would be really dilated..more so than other people.   Same thing with extacy.  I have stopped using drugs and started exercising regularly but it's not helping.

Now when I am feeling anxious around people I am parnoid that my eyes are really dialated.

The anxiety is afecting my life, it's getting to the point where I avoid social situations and friends now.  Also, it happens even when I'm by myself now too.

I talked to my doctor about and he recommended someone to talk too but she has no idea what is causing my symptoms.  All she says is to exercise (which I already do and I'm in above average shape).  Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I've been trying to relax all day but I just feel really anxious and I have severe pressure behind my eyes for the past 4 hours.
Cocaine has been used for eye anesthesia and to open the pupil in the past. However all effects on your pupils from your past drug use is long gone.

My recommendations make an appointment with an Eye MD ophthalmologist to re-assure you your pupils are fine. BE SURE you do not let the technicians put any drops in your eyes before you see the Eye MD. The Eye MD him/herself should measure and test your pupils.

Then I suggest you see a psychiatrist to help you with your anxiety. Legal drugs for anxiety would probably help you a great deal.

JCH III MD  EYE MD
Thanks for the advice, I'll make an appointment
Good luck.
JCH III MD
A related discussion, pupils and anxiety was started.
A related discussion, anxiety was started.
A related discussion, anxiety and dilated pupils was started.