Eye Care Community
Dilation Problem
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dilation Problem

I am 66 years old and had dilation for a routine eye exam 5 days ago, and my pupils are still dilated. I saw my eye doctor yesterday (4th day), and he said that he has never seen eyes stay dilated more than 2 days. They used Tropicacyl 1 percent. I have light blue eyes. He said the pupils will definitely go back to normal, but he doesn't know when. My vision is too blurry and light sensitive to do my job (computer work) without causing a headache. I haven't seen any improvement since day 3 when I finally realized what was going on. Have you seen anything like this, and can you give me a prognosis?
Tags: eyes, dilation
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
There have been a few posts on here from people who have suffered similar problems with the dilation meds. I don't know what their outcome was, but I know it is not that uncommon, at least on here.
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
duplicate post. answered elsehwere
JCH MD
Blank
My daughter had an eye examination and her eyes dilated on Monday early morning, it's Wednesday evening and her eyes are still the same as when the were dilated...  She has dark brown eyes and is 5 years old.  Is this really normal, should I be pushing the eye doctor??  This seems a little long
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Depends on what was used. Most common drops 2.5% neosynephrine and 1% mydrycil wear off in several hours  cyclogel 1% can take several days, homatropine a week and atropine 10-14 days. Call the doctor tomorrow and ask what was used. Make a note on the chart and next time they can use a weaker solution of drops.

JCH MD
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank