Eye Care Expert Forum
Dirty Eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Dirty Eye
What causes the eyes to be a brownish color?
Dear butterfly16,

Do you mean the white part of the eye appears muddy? You should have your eyes checked.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Yes, I mean the white part of the eye. I don't really think it's muddy, I just think it's not as white as I would like it to be. My mom told me it may be because I drink a lot of soda.
Most people don't have perfectly white eyes, for the whites of the eye. Usually if a person is tired, it'll be more off colored. Eye drops can help clear out eyes, which you can try to help. My white parts aren't very white, but they've gotten better with a better diet.. more vegetables.

good luck.