Eye Care Expert Forum
Discoloration around iris

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Discoloration around iris
Both of my eyes' irises have a pale blue circle around them, they used to be black.  I know my dad had the same condition but don't know what caused it.  I had Lasik surgery 6 years ago, but he did not as he died in 1987.  I am 61 years old.  Should I be worried?  What could have caused this and should I make an appointment with an Opthamologist or just an eye check up at an Optometrist?
Thank you.
Dear cubandd,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD and mention this to him/her.  It is possible that this may be arcus senilis or cholesterol deposition in the cornea.  It is not uncommon for individuals above the age of 40 to have this, but a sudden appearance warrants checking and maybe, further testing.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California