Eye Care Expert Forum
Distorted Vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Distorted Vision
4 months ago I had a sudden onset of distorted vision.  Began in my left eye - 1 1/2 months later was also in my right.  Classic symptoms of wet macular degeneration.  Wavy lines, central vision loss - reading is ok, but distance such as street signs, etc. are very distorted.  Computer work is more distorted than close-up work.  I have gone to a well respected retina specialist.  After all the tests, my retinas are "perfect" and refraction tests, etc. are fine.  I just had an MRI of the orbital (?) and frontral lobe.  Everything seems to be fine.  The only findings were "non-specific signals in the frontal lobe".  The retinal specialist said "whatever the heck that means".  His philosophy is a "wait and see" attitude.  I am a little disconcerted at the fact that my vision is so distorted.  Any ideas?  Thank-you.
Dear lakeladybeth,

You do not mention whether this vision occurs with or without glasses and is there all the time or just some of the time.  I would recommend that you seek another opinion of a neuro-ophthalmologist to determine whether the cause can be determined.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Thank-you for your response.  The vision occurs with and without glasses and is there all of the time.