Eye Care Community
Distorted vision after Cataract Surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Distorted vision after Cataract Surgery

I am 3 weeks out ffrom cataract surgery and while my vision is 20/40 I have distorted vision peripherally.  It almost seems like the light is hitting the corner of the lens.  It is horrible in flourecent lighting situation (work)

Anyone have any advice??
Yes, that symptom is called "dysphotopsia". Use the search feature and read about it. It is more common with multifocal IOLs (restor, rezoom and cyrstalens). However also needing to be excluded: displaced or dislocated IOL,   secondary cataract, macular edema.

Ask your surgeon. IF answers are not clear then get a second opinion.

JCH MD

Thank you Dr. Hagan,

I did get a second opinion and they want to wait until at least 6 weeks to see if it clears up on it's own.  It appears the lens is in place and no edema, but my pupil is a little large.  The suggestion at this point was wait 3 more weeks and possibly put another lens in front of this one to get rid of the distortion..  It was a monfocal IOL and it appears the cataract was caused by steroid use (bad back)...  Very worrisome since I am only 43

Does this advice make sense??
I also had dysphotopsia after monofocal IOL cataract surgery. The edge of my peripheral vision was a blur with constant light flickers. Whenever I went into a building with flourecent lighting, the flickers intensified to the point that my eye felt like it was having spasms.....Very difficult to live with....I bought a pair of photochromic sunglasses from a local  mall optical chain store. They can be worn inside and outside. They made a world of difference....I'm 8 weeks post surgery, and since wearing the glasses I've been able to think less about the flickers. I believe my brain is adjusting and will eventually "forget" about the dysphotopsia. Check out this web site for info: allaboutvision.com/lenses/photochromic.htm  Good luck!
-
Those symptoms sound just like mine....

Dr. Hagan, can your brain actually "forget" about the distortion?

Also what is a proper amount of time to wait before exploring my options?  I want to give it enough time to resolve on it's own, if that is possible

Thank you
The process the brain uses to make things abnormal look normal is called "neuroadaptation". It general takes months and the standard figure is that for patients with dysphotopsia that one year after surgery 10% still have it.

If you are no better in the three weeks of waiting get an opinion from the surgeon, from the second opinion and then get a third opinion.

Your problem is more likely to get better because you have a monofocal IOL.

JCH MD
Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond!!
You are welcome. Good luck to you.

JCH MD