Eye Care Expert Forum
Do I have Optical Neuritis?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Do I have Optical Neuritis?

This morning, I woke up with my right eye buried in a pillow. I sat up and glanced across the room toward my closet. Things looked weird. I closed my left eye and saw that one of the green coats hanging in the closet looked a little brownish, and a red painting on the wall looked a little darker. I closed my right eye and saw that everything was a little brighter in my left. I completely freaked out and buried my head in the pillow, hoping it would go away.

And the odd thing is, it did. The whole episode must have lasted 10 seconds tops.

What could this mean? Can Optical Neuritis last for only a few seconds? Did I just imagine the whole thing? (I'm a hypochondriac and I found out about ON a few weeks ago.)

Additional Details
I went to an ophthalmologist two months ago, he did a full examination and said everything's fine. I don't wear glasses, there was no pain involved, and my pupils respond normally to light.
Tags: colors, darker, faded, green, red
Probably applied pressure to the eye.  If it happens again, go see your ophthalmologist, otherwise don't worry about it.  Not likely to be optic neuritis.

HV
Thank you Dr. Vosoghi!