Eye Care Expert Forum
Does acid reflux affect your eyes?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Does acid reflux affect your eyes?
I have chronic reflux, not helped by fundoplication and only partially helped with PPIs.  I often awaken with red, irritated, watery eyes as well as a strong metallic taste.  The stronger the metallic taste, the more irritated and red are my eyes.  Can the acid from reflux enter your eyes?
Dear drucilla_e,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD to determine the cause of your red, irritated, watery eyes.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
IOW, you don't know the answer.  I've been to the eye doctor.  Opthalmology has advanced the least of all the medical fields.  I'm offered the same treatment for blepharitis now that I was 30 years ago.  My vision is still checked the same way - "Is this better...or this?"  "This...or this?"  Eyes are dry?  Let's just plug those babies up!