Eye Care Expert Forum
Does cataract can cause eye pain?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Does cataract can cause eye pain?
I have cataract in the right eye. I will have a surgery soon. My right eye power changed from 5.75 to 8 in just 3 months. Of course now my glasses right lens is wrong. My left eye is stable at 3.75. In the last few months I have been feeling a little pain on the right eye. Could the scenario I just described explain this pain? My doctor did not find anything else. I forget to mention I also have glaucoma, but iop is under control, last measure LE was 16 and RE was 13, and optical nerve damage is minimum with no vision loss. Thanks.
No cataracts do not cause pain except the extremely rare "hypermature" cataract which "breaks up" in the eye causing pain, redness and elevated pressure.

JCH MD
Dr John,

Thank you for your answer.
I forget to mention that this pain is not constant, there is no redness or any visible eye change, and usually I also feel a light headache. Usually this pain goes way after rest, linke a night sleep. Could the eyes power difference, or the fact that now my glasses right lens is wrong, cause this pain ? Thanks.
Yes a big difference in eye power for glasses can cause discomfort and mild/mod pain. Such a condition is called aneisometrophia. It often requires a contact lens on one eye or taking the cataract off the other eye and making the powers of the eyes for glasses same or similiar.

JCH MD
Dr John,

Once again thank you for your help.

By the way, I talked to my doctor today.
My pre-surgery exames are ok and will have the surgery on 01/28/11.
IOP today was 16 left, 15 right. There are no signs of retinal damage that could cause retinal detachment.

My IOL options are Alcon Acrysof IQ IOL SN60WF and B&L Akreos Adapt, both monofocal, as I can not risk to see glares or halos after surgery.
Based on many posts here on medhelp, I think I will choose Alcon SN60WF.

Again, thanks for your help