Eye Care Expert Forum
Double/Triple vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Double/Triple vision

I had Custom LASIK 22 days ago.  Prior to the surgery, I was -9.00 in both eyes.  Since the day after the surgery, I have double vision in one eye, and triple vision out of the other.  My Dr. is claiming that my retinas are swollen and causing the problem.  He prescribed Xibrom drops for me.  He said it can take months to heal.

I asked him to explain the corneal topography printout to me.  He said the different colors show different elevations of my cornea.  I noticed on my "better" eye, there was 1 spot just off center that showed a little elevation, and on the other eye, there were 3 or 4 random spots that were elevated.  Most of the printout of the topography was a blue color, but these elevated spots were showing as yellow colors.  

If I am putting 2 and 2 together, wouldn't what I'm seeing (double in one eye and triple in the other) be as a result of these elevated spots on my cornea??  If so, what does this have to do with him telling me my retinas are swollen?  Will these elevated spots eventually go away or can they be corrected somehow?

I am worried that maybe something didn't go right and the surgeon is using an excuse that he knows may take some time to heal to delay telling me what is actually wrong.  
It is extremely rare for LASIK to cause retina swelling. Cornea swelling certainly.

I cannot interpret the topos.

With the degree of mistrust you have I suggest you get a second opinion and I would tell the surgeon that is what you plan on doing.   Surgeons rarely resent patients asking for second opinions and most are quick to suggest one if things are not going well or diagnosis is difficult.

JCH III MD
If I do get confirmation that I have swollen retinas, would that be causing my double and triple vision?

How long can I expect it may take to heal?
This is as far as I can take you. You will need to get the rest from your MD or the consultant.

JCH II MD