Eye Care Expert Forum
Double Vision Fears
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Double Vision Fears

I have worn glasses for nearsightedness and astigmatism since I was eight; I am now 50.  Two years ago I had PRK surgery.  I'm not sure why now.  I was told I would need reading glasses anyway, but it was exciting to think I wouldn't need glasses most of the time.  I have suffered from dry eye ever since and had punctal plugs placed in both top and bottom lids to help.  I think my vision was over-corrected because nothing is crystal clear at any distance though on sunny days I feel I can see best.  Before surgery, maybe ten years ago, an eye dr. told me that I should do exercises looking at beads at various distances along a string held in front of my eyes.  He indicated that I could prevent something from going wrong later; I never asked what.  Now when I do close work at the computer or reading a book, I very quickly start to see double.  The double vision happens at both a far distance and to the letters on the page.  It occurs horizontally below the object I'm viewing.  I lasts for a good long time.  I'm worried and don't know what to do next.  Should I see the PRK surgeon again?  Should I just see my regular eye dr.?  Eye drops seem to dry my eyes out eventually; I use Systane.
Tags: double vision, PRK, eye dryness, horizonal blurring, reading, "worried, surgery, eye exercises
2078052 tn?1331936700
You should see a good ophthalmologist for a complete evaluation.  You need a refraction to see what the eye prescription is, to determine if you need a change in your glasses' prescription.  Uncorrected refractive error can give double vision symptoms.  Also ask about Restasis eye drops, which treat the inflammation which causes dry eye; this will allow your eyes to produce their own tears.  Restasis is not a steroid, so it is safe for long-term use.  Exercises will not help your vision at this age.  It is a good idea to continue artificial tears 4 times a day.  Systane, Optive, and Blink Tears are good ones.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488 tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity