Eye Care Community
Double vision after reading or close computer work

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I have noticed that after I read or use my laptop in bed, I get double(and somewhat blurry) vision. It was particularly disturbing a month or so ago when I was reading at the beach, and then got up to go home - the horizon and all outlines were double (the "shaddow" on top), and it cointinued all the way during my drive home, over 15 minutes at least. All the cars appeared to have double lights (vertically), which came into focus when they got close.  I am 57 years old and hav worn corrective lenses since 5th grade. I am nearsighted and have astigmatism. Now i wear bifocals. (for about 3 years?). I saw my optometrist, and he said to come see him if it happens again. He mentioned possibility of Diabetes, MS, Carotid Artery disease, and, which seemed most likely to me at the time, my muscles spasming after reading up close. I was in bed reading with the TV on at the same time this morning, and got the double vision again. Now that I think back, it has been happening for a few years now. It is not aften that I read right before I head out when the probelm would be most noticeable, but when I do, and especially if it is light outside, I have noticed he problem with double vision. I hope this is not something like diabetes... I did have elevated glucose levels at my last check 6 or so months ago. Should I see my GP? An opthomologist?
You may have an intermittent esotropia or exotropia which becomes worse with fatigue. Have an ophthalmologist check it out. Myasthenia gravis is a possibility also.

I have seen many patients who complain of double vision who really are just noticing ghosting of the letters. True double vision goes away immediately when you cover one eye. If you do that and still notice "double vision" it may be ghosting which is caused by an irregularity in the optical system. Most commonly this is a dry eye from staring at your computer or cataract. If you notice it in one eye when the other is covered, try putting a drop of an ocular lubricant in the eye and see whether it disappears. This information will be helpful to the doctor.