Eye Care Community
Double vision from monovision contacts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Double vision from monovision contacts

Hello, I have worn monovision contacts for more than 20 years, with my left eye for distance and my right for close work. My correction for myopia is very large, more than 9 diopters. Last spring I received a changed prescription for my near eye and after getting the contact, I could see better up close but had double vision at all distances (most problematic working at the computer, which I do all day). The right eye produces an image which is larger, lower, and to the left of the other image.
I was prescribed prism glasses to wear over the contacts but although they align the images better, the image from the right is still larger and the images still float. To really get work done I need to close one eye or the other.
The solution is to wear these glasses but vision then is still worse than using only one eye.

I had also noticed one eye appearing to be less open in the mirror. but have been told this is aging (I am 59).

Suggestions? Go to glasses? Keep wearing monovision contacts? I have a pair of progressive lens glasses but the right lens has become useless so it I just use the one eye. If I get the right lens updated I am afraid that it will again result in double vision. At least this way I can read.

Thanks for any input!
You need to work with your eye doctor for a compromise that works with what you do the most--computer work?  You may have to go to glasses.

Dr. O.
I am not an eye care professional.  I also experienced double vision after several years of doing monovision with contacts.  I don't know whether the cause of your problem is similar to what I had.  Dr. Bertram Kushner (a binocular vision specialist at the University of Wisconsin) has described how monovision can lead to double vision in vulnerable people.  I'd be happy to send you the articles if you send me your email address in a private message.  He suggests that if you stop doing monovision immediately, there's a good chance that your vision will return to normal.  At that point, you could either wear glasses or get multifocal contacts.  I've sent Dr. Kushner's papers to other people who have posted about experiencing double vision related to monovision.  One woman told me that she contacted Dr. Kushner personally, and he provided her with a referral to an ophthalmologist in her area.  (It can be difficult to find a doctor who is familiar with this problem--if, in fact, it's the source of your double vision.  Try to find an opthalmologist who specializes in strabismus/binocular vision.)

BTW, do you also have double vision when you go back to your old contact lens prescription?  If you don't, why not stick with your old prescription and wear weak readers when you need to read small print.  (If this solves your problem, then just ignore the above paragraph.  The condition described by Dr. Kushner doesn't apply to you.)