Drinking & Blepharitis
A few months ago I was diagnosed with blepharitis, but i have the symtoms for about 5 yrs. Though within the last year it has gotten worse. I noticed when i drink alcohol it immediately gets worse. First it was when i wore my contacts. Things got blurry because of a thick mucus substance built up in my eyes. Then I stopped wearing contacts alltogether. I did get some reief but my condition still got worse. When I drink the build up is worse & the next day everything is hazy for about 12hrs. I have stopped drinking, except for an occasion beer or two, but my question is... does alcohol have a direct affect on blepharitis & the day after haziness.. or could that be another condition or symptom I should be concerned about. I am taking Omega fatty acids as a supplement (seems to help with no drinking) & i do the hot compress with mild soap to wash eyelids. Last question.. is there anything else I can do to improve this condition so i can wear contacts again?
Alcohol seems to cause flare-ups of rosacea, which can be associated with posterior blepharitis.  Blepharitis is a chronic condition, which can be managed with warm compresses, lid cleansing, and Omega-3 supplements.  There are antibiotic drops, ointments, and pills which can also help.  I would see an ophthalmologist for a complete evaluation.  It is possible that with proper treatment and control of your blepharitis, you may be able to resume contact lens wear.  If that is the case, I would strongly recommend daily wear contacts (do not wear your lenses overnight), or daily disposable lenses.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.