Eye Care Expert Forum
Drusen Syndrome

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Drusen Syndrome
I have been diagnosed with Drusen Syndrome and have been told there is nothing that can be done.  I would like a second opinion and/or any information or supplements that I can take that would slow this progression. Also, any tips on diet/smoking that would slow this progression.  I am only 41 years old.  Do you know of any specialist in the Boston area or anywhere in the US that specializes in this?
Dear joey9968,

I would recommend that you search the AAO.org www site to find an eyeMD specializing in retina for you.  We always recommend that you eat well and there is evidence that taking vitamins may help slow the progression of macular degeneration.  If you go to our www site you can find a cookbook, entitled, Feast Your Eyes on this! For some great recipes for your eyes.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
My husband has been taking lutein, zeaxanthin (sp?) and bilberry for years. These are supplements specific for eye health. He recently had a complete eye checkup and was told he had the eyes of a man half his age. He is 72. Also he is diabetic. When he told his  eye doctor what he had been taking, the doctor heartily approved. I have spoken to other people on the same regimen long term. They also have healthy eyes. Whether it can remove drusen I don't know.