Eye Care Expert Forum
Dry Eyes after Pterygium surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Dry Eyes after Pterygium surgery
I had the amniotic membrane graft procedure for Pinguecula/Pterygium removal surgery 3 months ago. My eyes are still so dry. I've been putting in artificial tears. Some new small veins are appearing too.  How long will it take for the dryness to go away? Are there other options?
Dry eyes can originate from a variety of causes.  Two of the more common causes are insufficient tear production or inadequate oil production from the meibomian glands. In the case of inadequate tear production, punctal plugs is a consideration whereas in the latter, lid hygiene and warm compresses may help.  Restasis eye drops may also be of benefit.  I would check with your doctor to assess your tear film to determine the exact cause of your dry eyes so they can be treated accordingly.