Eye Care Expert Forum
Dry Flaky Eyelids

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Dry Flaky Eyelids
My eye lids would get dry after I get out of the shower and became very flaky. I went to the doc and he told me it was some bacteria and to wash my eyes with baby shampoo when I was in the shower and prescribed me a ointment to put on ( fluorometholone ophthalmic ointment). I have been doing this for about 5 years now and it wont go away!!Sometimes I wont wash or put the ointment on my eyelids and they wont get dry and flaky for about a week but then it comes back again. Why wont this go away!??!?! Its hard on my pocket to because the tube of ointment is really small and its 20$ a pop!
Dear Remous,

I would go see the doctor again to have your eyelids evaluated.  It is wise to be monitored closely especially if the symptoms persist.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California