Eye Care Expert Forum
Dry eye after chalazion removal

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Dry eye after chalazion removal

Let's see...

I'm 26 year old male.  In November 2006 I had strep, and a doctor put me on amoxicillin.  The strep went away, but while I was on it, I noticed a dot of white pus on my right lower eyelid, kind of near the middle I think.

After I ended the antibiotics, the white went away, but I started having problems with that eye.  It would gum up really easily at night and be red and sticky in the morning like pink eye.  I noticed a bump, and put warm compresses on it and put pressure on it to push the stuff out and it went away.  But the other symptoms did not go away.

Eventually in March I found a much bigger lump on the inside of the other end of the lid.  I saw an ophthalmologist and he cut it open.  He said it was particularly nasty to pop.  I was put on bacitracin ointment and it healed up.  There is no sign of the chalazion anymore, but now the right eye dries out and gets sticky and blurry at night, and seems to tear more easily and have more crust around the lashes than the left.  Sometimes I think I see styes too, though nothing significant.

I've read about how the chalazion is a blocked meibomian gland, which produces an oil coating that covers the water coating for the eye, to prevent it from drying out or tearing.  Does this mean my oil gland was destroyed in the surgery?  Will it grow back?  I got some cheap eye drops but they only seem to work for a short period of time.  Is there a specific type I should get?
Don't worry you have 40-45 meibomian glands on EACH eyelid.  Dry eyes, blepharitis, chalazia and styes often occur together.  Please use the search feature on this page to learn about each term. I suggest you use TheraTears SteriLid eyelid cleaner to keep the oil off the edge of your lids and artifical tears 2-4 times/day. Some of the better artifical tears: Systane, Soothe, Hypotears, Theratears.

JCH III MD Eye PHysician and Surgeon
"Don't worry you have 40-45 meibomian glands on EACH eyelid."

Well they're apparently not working as well as they should.  But is this going to be permanent?
The point I'm making is that you need your Meibomian glands, if you didn't have any you would be in trouble. It's actually your Meibomian glans (glands) being too active that causes blepharitis and chalazia.

Any yes blepharitis and dry eyes are chronic diseases, that means they persist for a long time.
Like acne it can get better with time.

JCH III MD