Eye Care Expert Forum
Dry eyes and dizziness

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Dry eyes and dizziness

I have been suffering dizziness for 2 months now.  My doctor has done all kind of test and a CT and found nothing.  I'm slightly love in iron but not iron difficient.  I'm slightly low in B1.  I'm currently taking supplement for iron and B1 for a week.  The dizziness and nausea is constantly there, low grade but I had 3 attacks at 3 different times and it seemed to relate to my eyes somehow.  I noticed my eyes are extremely dry lately, for the last few months.  Dry to the point that every morning I wake up already and couldn't open my eyes.  I have to rub them for a while then the lids can open. I saw an opthomalogist on Friday who placed 2 tiny plugs on my lower tear duct openings to keep the treat in my eyes.

I took lots of Meclizine in the past for motion sickness and insomia and I also used Latisse for the eyelash growth.  Last use on Meclizine is about 4 weeks ago.  Last use on Latisse is a few months ago.  Can these two cause this kind of dryness on my eyes?

3 dizziness attacks I had one time started with a glaze on the sun when I stepped out of a room.  The last two happened when I diced onion and the onion made me cry.

Is the dry eye causing my dizziness and what can I do?  Thank you.
dry eye doesn't usually cause dizziness. The plugs may help somewhat, as will eyelid washes/scrubs with baby shampoo, and warm compresses. Try preservative free tears when they feel dry. Meclizine will dry out your eyes and you will need to double up on the tears when you use the meclizine. good luck
allergies can cause severe dry eye ..many in CA suffering from sore itchy dry eyes ...toxins in the environment are causing it .other symptoms , dry cough, scratchy throat, head aches .tired ness,