Eye Care Expert Forum
Dry eyes?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Dry eyes?

a few days ago I woke up in the middle of the night with bad burning feeling in the left eye.

I rushed to the bathroom and I looked in the mirror I looked like that Terminator movie, the left eye was so red I had never seen it like that. actually I had never had problems in the eyes at all.

I washed it with water and soap and it helped and i went back to bed.

Now both eyes are burning, they're not red. it's nothing like an infection, I also tried antiseptic drops they did nothing. The first time it happened I thought it was due to the new clean bedlinen, maybe there was something on it, but now it's doing it all day long.

I thought that maybe they are too dry, I tried rubbing a slice of onion under the eyes and they got humid only just a bit, no tears. it actually helped for about half hour.

I know I have been having Neurological problems in the past years. between october and july I had something that resembled MS or Guillain-Barré syndrome, now it's better but maybe this new thing in the eyes could be due to a neurological issue?

blood tests were normal
ANA was negative but C3 was high.

could this new problem be related with the rest?

how do I know if the eyes are dry?
You need to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist. You may try using preservative-free tears in the mean time. Do not place antiseptic eye drops in your eyes, ok? Tear drops will improved dryness problems, but only temporary.

Sincerely,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
If the problem persists I will try to see a Specialist, thank you. the eyes are burning much now but there's pain. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the heat wave that hit our city, around 40C
something else I just noticed from my diary, two days before the eyes began to ache I had donated 450cl of blood.

20 days after my blood pressure is 60-100, it is usually 80-120. the eyes are still in pain, the only time when they felt just fine was one morning when they were wet.

I'm wondering if blood loss and dry eyes can be related

I don't know of any such relation. Try to use preservative free eyedrops (Artificial Tears).
Ciao,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
thank you, I'll try that.

The problem seemed to be gone but now its back. Something else unusual I have been experiencing in the past months is that I drink a lot of water, juices etc but the quantity of urine daily is really minimum. maybe 300cl in 24 hours!

I am going to see a Urologist coincidentally for a different reason so I will ask about that.

Is there any possible correlation between the eyes and the kidneys?

thank you.