Eye Care Community
Dull, heavy discomfort on right eye in the morning or after waking up

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Greetings!

I just would like to ask...This started about a month ago already, the first symptoms that i felt was feeling a dull, achy and heavy discomfort around my right eye in the morning after waking up. I consulted a opthalmologist about it..he tested my vision and told me it was still fine and i dont need new glasses (i have been wearing one about 5 years already because of astigmatism and nearsightedness), he opted to test me for eye pressure with the help of a tonometer. At first try..his readin on my left eye was about 14 and on my right was 24, he tried it again a second time reading my left eye as 14 and my right as 21. In line with it, i was also experiencing and feeling a gritty feeling on my eye, wherein its as if there is a pebble in my eyes but i dont have red eyes though. He told me i should be checked again for a week and probably opt for a Perimetry test just to make sure my visual field is good (i havent tested for this up until now), he also prescribed me Hypromellose because maybe i was just experiencing an episode of Dry Eyes having said that the season i experienced this was VERY HOT and HUMID. He told me i am a suspect for gluacoma, being shocked from a hastly diagnosis..i wanted a second opinion. My second opinion came also from an opthalmologist and his eye examination on me was more vivid and more detailed (checking everything including a tonometer as well). He did the tono test several times and he told me i was just fine and normal, he took 17 from booth of my eyes and told me that it maybe just psychological and i was just thinking too much of it but if i really want...he suggested that i still take the Perimetry test just for my self assurance. In line with the pebble like feeling..he told me there were no foreign debris seen and maybe it was just dry eyes so i should just continue with my Hypromellose.

After several days...the gritty and pebble like feeling i was experiencing was already gone BUT i still, up until now feel the heavy, dull, feeling i feel whenever i wake up in the morning. What could this be? Should i be checked again (its too expensive..waa!) If ever i should..what do you think should the doctors assessment be?

How about eye strain? Can this really be just Dry eyes? isnt dry eyes accompanied with red eyes cause mine isnt red. I am hoping for the best and i am praying that this is just a minor problem. I am too young to have Glaucoma and i dont have a history of it. I am only 25 years old.

Thanks and hope to hear from someone soon!

PS: sori for my bad english..its not my mother language. :)  
Since you have seen two opthalmologists and one was just suspicious and the other felt you did not have glaucoma its not likely at your age you have glaucoma.

Dry eyes is usually best in morning and gets worse as day goes on.

Sinus problems and blood pressure could cause heavy dull feeling on awakening.

Suggest you see your personal MD for a physicial and to rule these out.

JCH MD
ok thanks Dr. Hagan! i keep your suggestions in mind! thanks again!

Godbless!
-