Dysphotopsia
I've heard a lot of overlooked complaints about dysphotopsia, what exactly is it in lay-mans term? Also heard there were positive and negative dysphotopsia. Is it a rare complication of cataract surgery?
Dysphotopsia (D) are unwanted light reflexes from an optical lens.  Can arise from glasses or contacts but usually spoke of from IOLs.  Less common now than previous because of better IOL design.  More common with premium multifocal IOLS like ReStor, ReZoom, Crystalens experience with the new Symphony is not yet known. Can occur monofocal.  Person sees arcs, rays, ghosting, flaring, starbursts, etc.   Postive is seeing light colored area usually in outer periphery  negative is seeing black colored area.  It is not rare but neither is it common. Usually goes away without treatment.  Samuel Masket MD of Los Angeles is leading US expert.
I had a cataract operation in 2012 and developed negative dysphotopsia which is still bothering me in 2017.  My surgeon pretended to not even understand what I was talking about.  The black coloured area can be quite a significant impediment to peripheral vision.  I regret the operation as if I had know about it prior to the operation I would not have had the surgery until the cataract got a lot worse.
There are some surgeons nationally that specialize in treatment of positive and negative dysphotopsia that last more than 6-12 months post surgery.  You can pull them up with internet searches. The most well known is Sam Masket MD of Los Angeles.
Thanks for your reply.  I live in Melbourne Australia and will keep looking on the internet to see if I can find a doctor who can treat this problem.  I have seen one surgeon who said that he would not like to try fixing it as it would, in his opinion, be too risky.  
Melbourn is a lovely city that we have visited. With effort you should be able to find someone with experience in this. Generally they will specialize in cornea/refractive/cataract-IOL surgery.