Eye Care Community
Edema of the Macula?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Edema of the Macula?

I have seen the Cataract Specialist for an evaluation and she explained to me that I can have them removed because with them my vision has drastically decreased even in just a matter of weeks to 20/200. However, they told me the eye problems I am experiencing (doubled, blurry vision and drastic loss of vision) does not  make sense from just having the cataracts. So they scanned the front and back of the eye, upon taking the photos they have now discovered fluid "pouches" in the macula of both of my eyes. This may be they reason I am experiencing doubled and blurry vision so rapidly. They made me an appointment to see a Retinal specialist to take for test and to make a correct diagnosis. So my question is how is Macular Edema possible? I am not diabetic, there is no history in either side of my family and I have had no prior eye surgeries. Plus, I do not take any medication. How is any of this possible. Can this be a result of a concussion from two and a half years ago?
There are many causes of macular edema, too many to go into detail. The most common causes is diabetes, and the second blockages of blood vessels in eye       (this is not including cystoid macular edema following cataract surgery whidh iw dommon but not near the problem it was 15-20 yeas ago.

JCH
Thank you Doctor, I have been reading information about Macular Edema online and truthfully it sounds scary, especially the treatments for it. All of my vision changes I have experienced have been during the last 12 months but the more drastic changes have been over the course of the last 6 to 7 months.

Could they have caught it in time to possibly reverse my vision loss or is it usually more common to just halt further vision loss? Additionally, is there still a chance I can have the cataract removal surgery if my vision loss can not be reversed?
I cannot be more specific that I have been.
JCH MD