Eye Care Community
Effective optics diameter of Acrysof and Tecnis Aspheric One

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Dr Hagan
Most the information I read gives me the same info as you replied to my question, the optic diameter of Tecnis One is 6mm.
However, there is an article published by Dr Quentin Allen cited that the edge design of the Tecnis One doesn't fully utilize the 6mm optics and the actual effective optics diameter is only 5mm. His description is on the page 11 of the document http://www.crstodayeurope.com/Issues/0109/crste0109_supp.pdf. I understand Dr Allen is a paid consultant from Alcon.
I just want to see if you known any research of the EFFECTIVE optics diameter related to the edge design of the IOL.

BTW, I saw some news about a class 2 recall of Tecnis One from Abbott. Is it just a minor issue ?

1. I have not read his paper. CRST today is not a peer reviewed journal. I have no knowledge about a recall on Tecnis One.

JCH MD
Dr Hagan,
Do you means that the articles in CRST today may not be well recognized in the industry ?
In general, are the effective optics diameter normally the same as the optics diameter described in the IOL specification ?

CRST is a smaller, non-subscription journal. I do not know how the term effective optics is used or defined.

JCH MD