Eye Care Community
Epiretinal membrane peel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Epiretinal membrane peel

Hi Dr Ray

Jodie said you had a peel yourself. I am scheduled for the 17th to have one. I just had a scleral buckle on June 7 and I had another partial RD anyway on the 16 of June in which they did a vitrectomy. So I guess I just dont want to upset the eye too much too soon. Do you think it is safe to go forward with the ERP? I will be at Casey Eye institute and I trust the Dr but I am just worried. I don't want to lose the vision I have.

Thank you for any advice you have.
It is ok to have the peel.

Dr. O.
Thank you...!!!
Great response Simon Joseph.  I've had a Macular Pucker and none of the Retina Specialists I saw explained things this clearly.

To PNWgal:  Just to be clear, you developed this Macular Pucker AFTER your Vitrectomy in June ?  Did your Retina Specialist give you details as to why he thought the Pucker developed ?  Was it scar tissue from the Vitrectomy surgery?  Does he think the scar tissue is likely to form again after this ERM peel surgery because of your response to the last surgery?
Did he show you the scar tissue on the OCT test result ?

As you can see, I ask a LOT of questions...this way I don't have any regrets after I make a decision to have surgery.  Even if the outcome isn't ideal from the surgery, at least I know that I made the best effort to fully understand all the pros and cons.   That's just me though, but thought it might be helpful to throw a couple questions out there for you.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide please.
Yes the pucker developed after the vitrectomy. It was caused from inflammation in the eye from the detachment. I was able to see my octs from a month ago compared to this latest one. The change was aggressive. He said that the risk of another ERM was 1%. I already have a vitrectomy so the risk of another detachment is there but less.

I am scheduled for the 17th with dr Flaxel. She is the head retinologist at Casey Eye Institute. She has done thousands of these.

I am more resigned to the fact I need this now than I was a week ago. I was she'll shocked from the news.

Thanks for the hand holding :)

Patricia
Good luck with your surgery, it sounds like you have a qualified Retina surgeon and you are at peace with the decision to move forward with the surgery.

I had NEVER had a surgery of any kind before my ERM/Vitrectomy last year and I fought and fought the idea that surgery was my only option.  However, after seeing 4 Retina Specialists and Seeing the OCT results myself, I FINALLY resigned myself to the conclusion I needed the ERM peel.

Once I got to that "place", I was at peace knowing whatever result happened from the surgery was not in my control... but surgery had to be done if I wanted any chance of improvement.

Also, I had low expectations for the results because I knew the membrane probably caused permanent damage to my retina.  In your case, the scar tissue wasn't in there very long so you may be lucky in that it may not have tugged on your retina long enough to cause permanent damage.

Let us know how it goes.  Positive thoughts go out to you !!!
Man... a week ago I felt SO alone and look I have a bunch of really cool new friends. Two are even doctors! How cool is that?

I think I needed a week just to understand the situation. I didn't even know how to pose my questions and concerns because I was in such shock. I really believed it was the cataract they promised I would get. Well... its still there...HAHAHA.... Its just waiting for the ripe time.

Well... I gotta get some sleep. Night all y'all!

Patricia