Eye Care Expert Forum
Episcleritis/ scleritis treatment

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Episcleritis/ scleritis treatment

I was diagnosed 4 days ago with episcleritis in my left eye but the doctor seemed concerned with scleritis as well. I am taking prednisolone 4x day and and 400mg 2x day. Now my other eye is feeling the same irritation and beginning to get deep pain so I started drops in that eye too. With this treatment when can I expect relief? Preliminary tests suggest the possibility of something autoimmune (1:640 ANA speckled). Waiting for more in depth tests next week and eye specialist next week too. I am very concerned about the scleritis. Is this aggressive enough treatment? Right now it doesn't seem to be working.
Scleritis is a very serious condition, and often requires oral anti-inflammatory treatment such as immune suppressants.  Right now you are on topical steroids and ? an NSAID orally.  Usually the pain with episcleritis is not severe, and this condition does respond to the treatment you are currently taking.  I would recommend a consult with an ophthalmologist specializing in uveitis (inflammatory diseases of the eye), as well as a rheumatologist, if you are found to have scleritis.  
Thank you for the reply. My eyes seem worse especially the light sensitivity. I feel like I am looking into someone's halogen headlights drilling pain into my brain.  The pain also radiates from my inside eye corner to my upper sinus area of my nose. I increased my ibuprofen to 600mg 3x day long with the prednisolone drop 4x day.  I am seeing the Uveitis specialist in 2 days. The Rheumatolist wants more tests before he sees me and then I can't get in until February. If it Scleritis how fast does it progress? Any suggestions about what I should ask the ophthalmologist?