Eye Care Community
Excess protein

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Excess protein

Hi everyone !

I am a contact wearer, and have had problems with protein buildup in the past, but lately, after wearing my contacts for at least 8 hours, I take them out and my left eye feels like there is something underneath the lid. On occasion (and this is really gross..) I see something cross my field of vision and I can actually pull pieces of this white stuff off of my eyeball, it sort of looks like small chunks of wet skin, and after I pull it off, my eye feels 100 times better.. very red and irritated, but it no longer feels like anything is there. My eye doctor said my eyes are healthy and he even flipped the lids inside out to check. I have no idea what this is, it looks like protein to me but I don't know for sure, because when I wear my glasses all day.. my eyes are fine.
Any thoughts?

Thanks !
Many causes including a problem with you cleaning solution.  See an EyeMD.

Dr. O.
I have the same problem as well. Also when I wake up I have yellow thick liquid in the outer corner of my eyes along with dried up gunk around my eyes. I've search all over for a reason and the only result I can come up with is its eye allergies. Which I'm unsure with because it is a constant no matter what the day is like.
I have the same problem that is off and on. My eye doctor says it is due to protein build up in our lenses. Be sure to always change your lenses as prescribed. The crusty and goopey yellow/white has reduced also since I have been washing my eye every night before bed after removing my contacts. You can get this "eye wash" from target from Bausch and Lomb which comes with an eye cup. Simply fill the cup. Bend over the cup to fit it to your eye then tilt you head back and blink in the solution for about thirty seconds. Hope this helps!