Eye Care Expert Forum
Excessive blinking in one eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Excessive blinking in one eye

HELLO, about a week ago my 7 1/2 year old son started excessively blinking only his left eye.I thought something was in it but I couldn't find anything.I eventually took him to the eye Dr. about 3 days later,the Dr. did a thorough eye exam and told me there was nothing in it and he had 20/20 vision.He has not been blinking it so much the past couple of days.Sometimes he has quirky little ticks that he does, I'm hoping that this is all it is.Should I be concerned?
Dear stacie37,

I would keep track of the tics.  How often do they occur? Do both sides of the face move or only one?  Do the eyelids blink excessively without cause? I would take your son back to an eyeMd if the symptoms persist.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California