Eye Care Expert Forum
Excessive eye mucus all the time

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Excessive eye mucus all the time

I always feel like my eyes are dry and sticky feeling.  I have to constantly clean 'sleep' out of my eyes all day.  Most of the time is just clear, but it fuzzs up my vision all the time.  I do not wear contacts, and do wear glasses.  Which I recently got a new prescription.  After going thru chemo for last year, My vision had changed quite a bit.     I do use some 'tear' solution just to help the dry feeling, but constantly have the gunk in my eyes and wondering what could be causing it.

Your problems can usually be helped but an exact diagnosis is necessary. Especially with being on chemotherapy you need to see an Eye MD ophthalmologist-physician. Ask your oncologist or GP for a referral or go to www.aao.org to find one near you.

JCH III MD
Thank you for your reply.  I will visit the site and find one in my area.

again thank you
yes i have excessive eye mucus also, i constantly dig in my eyes all the time getting this mucus out and my eyes become soooo irritated to the point where i cant touch them anymore because the skin above my eyes become really raw. Every morning I wake up my eyes are stuck together and the feeling is so horrible. what is this problem? i dont have contacts or wear glasses. my vision is just fine. i went to many eye doctors and they couldnt help me. I just need to know what causes this so i can find something organic to help out with the problem.
We do not make diagnosis on this website. We can sometimes suggest possible diagnosis. In your case the number of causes are so large that only a medical eye exam by an Ophthalmologist Eye MD can give cause and treatment.

JCH III MD

Find eye MD at www.aao.org