Eye Care Expert Forum
Exercise after retinal detachment

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Exercise after retinal detachment
I recently (1 1/2 weeks ago) had a pneumatic retinopexy procedure for a retinal tear and detachment.  I regularly take power yoga classes and sometimes jog on my treadmill.  I also do some weight training.  I am wondering if, and when, I can get back to my previous activities.  I am only 40 and I really want to be able to get back to my normal life.  Also, I keep hearing about cataracts being a possible side effect of the procedure I had done, what is the likelihood of that?  

Thanks for your help.
Call your retinal surgeon tomorrow to get answer about exercise.  It depends on size, location and severity of detachment.  You will probably get a cataract at some point in the future - possibly as soon as a year or maybe 10-20 years.  It is very likely - just can't say for sure when.  Could be about 5-10 years possibly.  It can be easily treated with modern cataract surgery - so don't get worried about that - you just need to get over this tear/detachment now.

MJK MD