Eye Care Expert Forum
Exophoria

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Exophoria
What exactly is Exophoria and are there things we should be watchful for...does this worsen with age?
Exo means turns OUT  phoria means controled by the fusion reflex (a latent deviation). It becomes apparent or manifest when fusion is disrupted as by doing alternate cover tests.

Exotrophia means the eye is turned out all the time  "wall eyes".

Most exophoria is benign, does not require treatment or cause any problem.  I'm an eye surgeon and I have exophoria.

It is not the same as "intermittent exotrophia" where sometimes the eyes are straight and sometimes they turn out.

If there is no family history of strabismus or eye muscle surgery the prognosis is excellent.

JCH III MD      Eye MD = Opnhthalmologist
Thank you for explaining this to both myself and my son.  There is no family history so this took a big worry out of our lives ;)
A related discussion, Exophoria was started.
A related discussion, Exophoria - surgery complications related to flying was started.
A related discussion, please help was started.