Eye Care Community
Expired eye drop use
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Expired eye drop use

I went to see an optometrist in Los Angeles in 2009. He used drops to dilate my pupils and have them examined. Because I have dry eye problems, he gave me a sample eye drop and covered it with a label that said "use it twice daily." I used it without suspicion only to find that there is increased redness in my eyes (my eyes had been slightly red because of dry eye problems). After I removed the label, I found that it already expired in 2006. Shortly after I used the eye drop, there is a new brown spot/pigmentation in the white part of my right eye (I had pigmentation in my eyes before this incident).

I went back to see the optometrist, and he vehemently denied that the expired eye drop caused increased redness and new pigmentation. I also forgot to take the eyedrop home, so I lost that piece of evidence (the only thing I remember is that it was made by Novartis). The mental anguish lasts to today. I began to have suicidal thoughts because functionally my eyes feel so dry and burning that often I can barely open my eyes (I am only 26) and cosmetically I used to get compliments on how beautiful my eyes looked, but now they look awful. Needless to say, my life has been affected to great extent.

Sorry for the long intro, but my question is can the expired eye drop contribute to the increased redness and pigmentation? If it does, is it reversible? Does anti-inflammatory eye drop help in this case?