Eye Care Expert Forum
Explantation/replacement of IOL

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Explantation/replacement of IOL

Thanks, I'll try to be brief: my friend's mother had cataract surgery both eyes last September. They are in Philippines. I had advised them to go to Manila to university hospital opth clinic and not to select the "premium" lens. She went instead to a local doc out in "the province" and he sold her the more expensive lens. As best I can understand it he implanted Alcon Restor.

The left eye has been troublesome, and I finally got them to go to Santo Tomas University Hosp in Manila Opth Clinic. The ophthalmologist there tells her the surgery was "the old procedure", the incision was too long , and the lens is damaged..."cracked".  He recommends that he replace the lens.

Question is: could a monofocal lens be installed in the left eye with the Restor remaining in the right eye, or would that be too much for the eyes to adjust to?

Thanks, Jim
This is tolerable in many patients, but not everyone. If her right eye is doing well with the multifocal then the left eye should do fine with a monofocal lens.
Sincerely,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.