Eye Care Expert Forum
Exploded Blood vessel in left eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Exploded Blood vessel in left eye

I have an exploded blood vessel in my left eye that developed last year so now my left eye is red and I have a small dot in my red eye.  I had lasik almost 7 years ago and never had a problem.  I do work on the computer at work.  I did go to the eye dr. who performed my lasik and he did all kinds of tests and send there was no problem and it was probably strain.  He put me on Restasis.  I went back about 2 months later and still had the blood vessel there but he said the dryness had improved.  He said as long as it didn't hurt and/or get worse, I was fine. The exploded blood vessel is still there.  It never goes away.  Is there a way to have it removed or will I have to have it there forever?  
Generally, these vessels are just left alone.  "Exploded" is really not the proper way to describe this.  My guess is that it is a large, distended vessel, that is abnormally prominant.  Usually there is nothing that can be done to make it go away.  Even with surgery, there is a chance that a new vessel will grow in there.  Talk to your surgeon to discuss your options.  I've never seen a case where surgery was performed for this and I've been doing this about 15 years.

MJK MD
Thank you for your answer--my eye doctor said the same thing that there is really nothing that can make it go away except for surgery but that can remove it for a short time like you stated above and can come back.  Is there any chance that it may go away over time by applying warm compresses or ice?  I read on the web that some people have used warm and/or cold compresses and it helped lessen the vessel but since it may already be prominent I don't know that it would even help.