Eye Care Community
Extreme far-sightedness in child

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Extreme far-sightedness in child

I have a three year old son who I took to a vision center today after just realizing he was getting really close to look at a book or the television.  I was told he needed to be referred to a pediatric opthamologist.  He told me he was very far-sighted and gave me a prescription as follows: +7 OS -1.00 cylinder 180 axis  for both eyes.  He did not say what this means as far as his visual acuity is concerned.

I am wondering how bad this means his vision is.  He did say it was bad enough that it would effect his near and far vision and that I should not get the rx filled as the specialist might want to prescribe something different. My husband or I do not wear glasses and I don't know much about the strength but +7 sounded strong to me and the dr. did mention I should pay extra for thinner lenses...so I figured these would be thick ordinarily.  

Any information on far-sightedness in children and how bad my son's vision would be to need the above prescription would be greatly appreciated as I can not find much on the web and want some kind of answers while waiting to see the specialist.

Thanks!
I can't be of very much help... but I do know this... my 4 month old has a prescription of 7.5 and 8.5.  I have researched to no avail the relationship between the numbered prescription and  visual acuity.  However when I asked my optomologist he said that if the retinal scarring had no effect and if he was simply farsighted then his best vision would be about an inch away from his eyes, and with out glasses if his eyes were normal then it would be comparable to seeing underwater.  Sorry that I can't be of more help.  Good Luck!