Eye Care Community
Extremely Dry Eyes after Cataract Surgery
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Extremely Dry Eyes after Cataract Surgery

Hello, I have developed extremely dry eyes after my cataract surgery. First surgery was April 2nd and second one was April 16th.  Went back to work April 22nd - my job requires me to be on the computer 8 hours every day and my eyes are in absolute agony. I am putting Refresh Tears in every hour on the hour and that is not helping. Is this normal??? And if yes, how long does it last? I've read the posts about dry eye and am wondering if "Restasis" (whatever that is) would be an option for me and also could someone please explain to me what "punctal" plugs are? Thanks in advance.
Tags: dry eye
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
284078_tn?1282620298
Punctal plugs are  great idea.  THey block the duct that carries excess tears away from eye to the nose.  They would be a good idea for you.  Go with trial, dissolvable plugs first.  Oral flaxseed oil 1000mg twice a day.  Get off the computer - that will help more than anything because nothing is worse for dry eyes.  Restasis is OK but probably wont give you much help for a few months.  Also, as you get off the post op drops - that will help a lot.  Consider wearing glasses have some protection from air circulation - they have a foam type barrier around the edges and keep some of the drying effect at bay.  I saw some sunglasses with this type of design the other day at the mall.  For situations like this I usally go full court press with treatment - I'm very aggessive because the patients are miserable and I want happy patients.

MJK MD
Blank
Hi Dr Kutryb, thanks for your advice. Unfortunately can't get off the computer - that's my job - but will try the oral flaxseed oil and discuss with my optometrist the punctal plugs. Was going to get some more protective sunglasses anyway so will look around this weekend. Thanks  so much for your help!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...