Eye Care Expert Forum
Eye Bruise

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye Bruise

I fell and hit my head on my car door and hit my eye. my eye started out like a blue color then a purple color now its black. then it created a scab or something and then it came off, people have been telling me to keep cocoa butter on it, in which i have been doing. my question is will this black mark ever go away or if so how long will it be on my face.

.P.S. Thank you.
Tags: eyecare
I really want to believe you are talking about your eyelid and not your eye.  If it is the eyelid - then see an ophthalmologist right away - that's a no brainer.  If you are talking about your eyelid and have a bruise - it may take a couple of weeks to go away.  If skin is broken you need antibiotic ointment and watch closely for any infection.  You might possibly even need stitches.  Ice packs 30 minutes on/30 minutes off for first 24 hours and head elevation for about a week may help.  Sorry but with this type of injury, you probably  need to be seen in person.

MJK MD