Eye Care Community
Eye Drops Cause Burning

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Eye Drops Cause Burning

I am using Restasis for dry eyes.  I also use OTC allergy eye drops once daily which greatly improve my eye comfort.  However, when the allergy drops are applied, I experience extreme stinging and burning for about 20 seconds.  Is it safe to use allergy drops along with Restasis treatment?  Do you have any info on this subject?
Go to the restasis home page to learn about your medication.

http://www.restasis.com/default2.htm?x=Restasis

About 20% of people starting restasis have extreme stinging when they put it in. It gets better with time and is usally gone completely in 3-4 weeks. If it is a BIG problem contact your ophthalmologist Eye MD and discuss using steroid eye drops for a couple of weeks to take the sting out of restasis.

Stinging for 20 seconds is not a lot of sting. Yes it is okay to use OTC allergy drops. The best out for most people is Zaditor.

JCH III MD