Eye Care Expert Forum
Eye Floater (Spiderweb kind of thing)
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Eye Floater (Spiderweb kind of thing)

I have floaters (black spiderweb kind of thing in my right eye) for last few weeks and had my both eyes tested by 2 different doctors.  Both stated that there is no effect to ratina, however, they said I have to live with floaters.  The only cure they told me is to ignore them.  It is very difficult to ignore them because i can see it clearly.  Please advice will they ever go by time.  Also, please advice, is there anything we can do to prevent them from increasing in the future.    
Thanks and best regards
Ghulam
Related Discussions
233488_tn?1310696703
Hello Glhlam, I have floaters also, had them since age 9-10. They cannot be prevented, get more common as we get older and are more common in myope (near sighted).  With time they may drop to the bottom of the eye or swing to the far right or left of the eyeball, in these positions they aren't seen; they may also move farther away from the retina (towards the nose or front of eye), there they are easier to ignore. Finally almost everyone with time learns to ignore them and 'tune them out'.  \

Treatment in the past with lasers to break them up has not been helpful and an operation to remove them is too risky and almost always causes cataracts. Homeopathic eye drops for floaters are a waste of money.

If you have showers of floaters, flashes of light or loss of peripheral vision it can indicate a posterior vitreious detachment and a re-examination of the eye by an ophthalmologist is necessary.

JCH MD Eye Physician & Surgeon  (ophthalmologist = Eye MD)
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center
Van Nuys, CA
1731421_tn?1358826971
Timothy D McGarity, M.D.Blank