Eye Prescription. What is +0.50 sp
I went to see an ophthalmologist today and in my prescription he wrote:

Distance: R: +0.50(SPH) sp(CYL)
          L: +0.50(SPH) sp(CYL)

He told me I needed glasses for the computer but that the problem is minor.
But he failed to answer my questions:

1. What is that I have? miopia? astigmatism? a different problem?
2. What does +0.50 sp means
3. Does it mean that I can't see well at large distances or close distances?

As you can see, he didn't have the initiative to explain what my problem is...

thank you very much,

Farsighted = hyperopia = eye shorter than normal.  Many people say "you can see far away but not up close". That's not correct. It's complicated but a young person that's farsighted can see both near and distance. A 40 year old will need reading glasses and as they age they need bifocal type lens and cannot see well without.

Nearsighed = myopia eye longer than normal. Distance vision blurred, near vison may be clear or blurry depending on how much myopia is present.

Presbyopia = loss of focusing that occurs with age. Most often starts early 40s.

+ .50 diopter sphere corrects for farsighted or presbyopia. In a young person sometimes prescribed for a muscle problem convergence insufficiency that can cause eye fatigue with near tasks.

di
thank you very much,
very helpful information.
Dear Doctor
i am 48yrs old and have bi-focal lens as prescribed by doctor; in prescription doctor wrote as below:
+0.78-1.28x25degree
+0.75-1.25x102degree/ i am confused , i cant see computer fonts properly up to font no.14/ please suggest
Strong suggestion. Call your "eye doctor" and discuss. i cannot tell anyting. The RX you posted is not for bifocals. Its a monofocal.

JCH MD
i've been given the same prescription as juansejam
but i want to know if i want to how much time it will take to cure my number by wearing these glasses? and are there any exercises and natural remedies to do so..

P.S: i started noticing blurred vision in my right eye due to dust allergies in my eyes. that is when i consulted with the doctor. as compared to the right eye, the vision in the left eye is clear. but still the number has been given for both the eyes.