Eye Care Community
Eye Prescription. What is +0.50 sp

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Eye Prescription. What is +0.50 sp

I went to see an ophthalmologist today and in my prescription he wrote:

Distance: R: +0.50(SPH) sp(CYL)
          L: +0.50(SPH) sp(CYL)

He told me I needed glasses for the computer but that the problem is minor.
But he failed to answer my questions:

1. What is that I have? miopia? astigmatism? a different problem?
2. What does +0.50 sp means
3. Does it mean that I can't see well at large distances or close distances?

As you can see, he didn't have the initiative to explain what my problem is...

thank you very much,

Farsighted = hyperopia = eye shorter than normal.  Many people say "you can see far away but not up close". That's not correct. It's complicated but a young person that's farsighted can see both near and distance. A 40 year old will need reading glasses and as they age they need bifocal type lens and cannot see well without.

Nearsighed = myopia eye longer than normal. Distance vision blurred, near vison may be clear or blurry depending on how much myopia is present.

Presbyopia = loss of focusing that occurs with age. Most often starts early 40s.

+ .50 diopter sphere corrects for farsighted or presbyopia. In a young person sometimes prescribed for a muscle problem convergence insufficiency that can cause eye fatigue with near tasks.

di
Avatar n tn
thank you very much,
very helpful information.
Avatar n tn
Dear Doctor
i am 48yrs old and have bi-focal lens as prescribed by doctor; in prescription doctor wrote as below:
+0.78-1.28x25degree
+0.75-1.25x102degree/ i am confused , i cant see computer fonts properly up to font no.14/ please suggest
Strong suggestion. Call your "eye doctor" and discuss. i cannot tell anyting. The RX you posted is not for bifocals. Its a monofocal.

JCH MD
i've been given the same prescription as juansejam
but i want to know if i want to how much time it will take to cure my number by wearing these glasses? and are there any exercises and natural remedies to do so..

P.S: i started noticing blurred vision in my right eye due to dust allergies in my eyes. that is when i consulted with the doctor. as compared to the right eye, the vision in the left eye is clear. but still the number has been given for both the eyes.