Eye Care Community
Eye Pressure caused by stress.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Eye Pressure caused by stress.

Hi.
I am 23 years old, and I have had an eye issue that has been going on for about a decade. My attempts to explain it have been difficult, since the problem is both physical and mental. I'll attempt to explain it here.

The problem I have relates to pressure in the eye itself. When an object that produces stress (mentally) is seen with the eye, a feeling of pressure in the eye begins. The result is pressure felt within the eye, around the cornea, that feels similar to a finger manually pushing down on the eye itself (though no contact with any external objects is taking place). Attempts to look away from the object produces the same feeling of pressure, usually in the area of the cornea that is closest to the stress-producing object.

This mental aspect causes the pressure feeling to continue, even when asleep. Therefore, I may wake up with my eyes feeling strained. Otherwise, the eye functions normally. Does this particular problem have a name or has it been identified in the past?

Thank you for your help; I understand this is not a normal case.