Eye Care Expert Forum
Eye Ring

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye Ring

Back in April 2012, I had my routine eye check up due to to a nasty bout with pink eye. My eye doctor had then told me that I should get my cholesterol levels checked. As she saw a bit of a white arc forming on the one bottom corner of one of my eyes. My last check up with an eye doctor had been in February 2011 where there was no mention of this.

I went and did my complete blood work in October 2012 and it was revealed that my cholesterol levels were fine. I don't know the exact numbers are but they were good enough that my doctor just said everything's fine on the phone.

So if this little white arc that has appeared is not due to elevated cholesterol .. is it just aging? I'm only 23 and a bit of a hypochondriac. Both aging and cholesterol scare me. My eye doctor also mentioned that it could be just how my eyes are and perhaps I've never noticed. I mean I really have to look deep into my eyes to see them anyways.

Your opinion would be helpful.
A peripheral white ring in the cornea is called arcus.  It used to be called arcus senilis (the senilis part was dropped for obvious reasons!).  The arcus related to a high cholesterol; if the cholesterol is normal, do not worry. The arcus will not hurt the eye health or vision.