Eye Care Community
Eye Sight Queation and boxing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Eye Sight Queation and boxing

I am doing a medical for boxing in september I am worried I will fail the eye test: This the rules..

Eye sight not less than 6/12 (may be corrected with contact lenses)
or no more than +/- 6 dioptres correction whichever is less.

only just found this information above

And I have been to the opticians and they have told me this which I don't understand:

Unaided Vision 6/48  am I ok to pass the medical and I have contact lenses as well.
You need to say what you vision with contacts is as your unaided vision is not good enough to meet requirement.
JC MD
You know if you are serious about your health and your sight why don't you just do something other than boxing? It's so barbaric and boxers get detached retinas, orbital blow out fractures, traumatic glaucoma, bleeding in the front and back of the eye, they get Parkinson's Disease (think Cassias Clay), dementia and Alzheimer's and they die in the ring or live with seriously injuring or killing their opponent.

I have several ex-boxers that are blind in one eye from their injuries.

JCH MD
I have 6/6 vision with contacts. I appreciate the concern but if you was me you'd think differently, boxing is a massive passion of mine and to get the chance to box is a dream come true.

Thank you,

Ben
.....you can lead a horse to water but.........

JCH MD